BSBMGT517 Manage operational plan Assessment Answers
ASSESSMENT TASK 2 – Project and Role-play Develop and manage an operation plan
|STUDENT ID||BATCH NO.|
|DATE OF SUBMISSION||PLACE OF ASSESSMENT|
This assessment is about testing the candidate’s ability to analyse a case study and provide solutions using skills and knowledge related to the unit BSBMGT517 Manage operational plan and its elements and performance criteria. The assessment has two parts. Project and a roleplay. Candidate is required to analyse a simulated case scenario and provide solutions using acquired skills and knowledge of managing operational plan in a workplace and demonstrate their ability to recruit human resources in managing operational plan at a workplace playing a role of operation manager.
Complete the following steps
- Read through the case very carefully and understand the scenario.
- Reflect on the learning of managing operational plan.
- Develop an operational plan
- Use the appendices for templates to complete the activities.
- Follow the time length given by the assessor to complete this project.
- This assessment has a role-play activity (Part B) of 15-20 minutes related to the operational plan you have developed above.
- You are required to play two roles as the operation manager consulting any specialist advisor and conducting interview to recruit staffs.
- Form the team of two for the role play one and team of three for the role play 2.
- Discuss the operational planning requirements listed in role-play one.
- Develop a proforma interview questionnaire for role-play 2 (use the appendix).
- Conduct the interview of recruiting staff in acquiring human resources as required by the organisation.
- You may refer to any sources of information during this assessment activity.
- Address all the points, structure, formats provided on the appendices and their terminologies in your solutions
- The assessment task is due on the time and date specified by your assessor.
- Any variations to this arrangement must be approved in writing by your assessor. See specifications below for details.
Objective of the assessment
The candidate must demonstrate skills and knowledge of managing operational plan in a workplace with the analysis of case scenario.
Specifications to submit (details of items for submission)
You must provide:
- Proposal for approval (to the assessor on a role-play activity to begin the project)
- Operation plan
- Contingency plan
- Recruitment plan
- Consultation plan
- Coaching and mentoring plan
- an interview proforma questionnaire developed for the role-play for interviewing applicant during the human resource acquisition process (Use the format available on the appendix appropriately filled with your own questions),
Note: You may use the planning templates provided on Appendices
The assessment is to be completed in the training facility by using the given case scenario of a simulated workplace using the range of information required for developing operational plan and play-the role of operations manager in organising to acquire human resources.
- Assessment task 1, Appendix 1, Appendix 2, Appendix 3 and Appendix 4,
- Simulated workplace documents, equipment and business resources.
- Learner resources/workbook/training materials/handouts,
- Computer, Internet, Table, chairs and stationery and access to:
o relevant legislation and regulations o workplace documentation and resources o case studies and, where possible, real situations
Part A -Project
Note: You may use the given simulated workplace or your actual workplace or any other workplace which you are familiar and have access to workplace documents and information. Your task
You are required to develop an operational plan for the simulated workplace using the Appendix 1 using the proposal and planning document formats provided on the Appendix 2.
Analyse the case scenario in terms of factual and numerical information on the current operation and planned operation. Use the templates on appendices for the following activity.
Complete the following activities:
- Read the workplace documents including policies and procedures, Appendix 1 and identify the parties that you need to obtain approval for the operational plan.
- Identify the stakeholders to consult for information and inputs required to develop operational plan. Develop a consultancy plan.
- Identify the individuals and teams for training and development. Develop a coaching/mentoring plan.
- Identify the specialist advice you require for acquiring resources for the development of operational plan.
- Identify the resource requirements.
- Develop a plan to acquire required number of human resources based on the case scenario.
- Identify required physical resources. Develop a plan to acquire resources.
- Identify the technological resources required and their intellectual rights and responsibilities.
- Develop performance standards for the workplace using legal responsibilities with specific reference to health and safety.
- Develop an operational plan that includes operational strategy, operation standard, key performance indicators, timeframe, person/s responsible, budget for the following operational functions:
- Human resource acquisition,
- Physical resource acquisition,
- Other resources such as technical, financial and intangible resources,
- Maintenance and improvement,
Part B – Role-play Required role-play settings
- A table and two chairs facing each other
- Planning template papers to take notes
- A table, three chairs, and pro forma interview questionnaire
- Form a team of two, one is operations manager and the other is the human resource manager
- One applicant (who will not be assessed)
- Identify the need and select specialist
You are meeting any of the specialist to discuss the resource requirement and their acquisition process. The specialist may be (select one specialist from the following):
- Accountant/Finance Controller
- Purchasing Officer
- Human Resource Manager
- Project managers
- Based on the specialist you are consulting, discuss the resource requirements and performance requirements addressing the following points:
- Relevant policy and procedure
- Performance systems
- Recommend solutions for underperformance
- Identify an area that require variations to operational plan
- Discuss the systems, procedures and records associated with documenting performance
- Have a discussion of 5 minutes before beginning the interview covering:
- Staff requirements
- Relevant policies and procedures applicable
- Obtain approval from HR manager to conduct the interview
- Discuss organizational requirements of systems to ensure that procedures and records of documenting performance
- Agree and invite the applicant for the interview
- Conduct the interview for 5 minutes using the proforma interview questions
Simulated Workplace (William Constructions)
William Constructions provide services to clients who wish to renovate, extend or build their new dream home. William Constructions can manage the projects from planning, designing, permits and approvals right through to lock up. Their strong attention to detail and use of the highest quality materials ensures our clients are extremely satisfied with the final product. The residential team’s attention to detail and willingness to complete the job on time and on budget has seen many happy customers and referrals. The company services include:
New House Builds & Developments
William Constructions experienced management team can organise home designs or work of pre-existing drawings, will handle the construction process, liaising with council and building inspectors, take care of all of the various trades and ensure that your project is completed to your expectations in a professional manner.
Renovations & Extensions
Renovating and extending client home not only adds value to it, but can create beautiful, new living spaces for their family to enjoy. Their aim is to make the process run as smooth as possible, ensuring clients are always kept up to date with the process.
Home Improvements & Landscaping
Carports, decks and patio, bathrooms and kitchens renovations, landscaping… No matter what you need there are a couple of things we always consider – you must love the result and it needs to add value to your home.
The vision of William Constructions. is to be a leading provider of Building Construction services in the Australia by 2025. The company is committed to safety, continuous improvement and enhancing the objectives of key stakeholders.
William Constructions strategic goals include:
- To be an industry leader in Building Construction services.
- Maintain excellence in work health and safety standards.
- Retain high quality Building Construction staff.
- Increase revenue through repeat business and new acquisitions.
- Grow the business through expansion into other states.
William Constructions has identified the potential for growth within the building and construction industry in Australia in the coming years. The company aims to increase its market share in the Victoria by 20% over the next three financial years.
To achieve this goal and measure its operational performance, five key performance indicators have been established for the company:
- To increase the number of new safety Building Constructions contracts by 15% over the next three financial years.
- To secure 80% client retention rate for ongoing contracts.
- Decrease operating expenses by 5% per year.
- To expand building construction services by opening offices in Victoria and Canberra over the next three financial years.
- To increase safety performance to 1% incident rate per financial year.
The strategic and operational plans were developed as a result of market research into the civil construction and Building Construction industry. This research has identified wide-spread opportunities and future growth in the building and construction industry.
William Constructions aim to expand their operations and take advantage of the current state of the marketplace in their existing segment and expand into other states. The partners aim to secure new contracts from government agencies and
privately-owned organisations to develop key client relationships and secure ongoing contracts using a personal, warm, friendly and transparent approach to Building Construction services.
As part of this strategy, William Constructions. will be looking at reducing staff attrition, expanding its workforce and reducing expenditure in many aspects of its operations, including administrative and leasing expenses associated with facilities and plant.
Exit interviews have indicated dissatisfaction with employment conditions including pay and inconsistent rosters. Staff view the company as being too ‘old fashioned’ and inflexible in the way it manages its people.
As the demand for reliable and competent Building Constructions controllers is quite high, William Constructions. is aware that they must address the remuneration and shift work issues in order to attract and retain quality staff and ensure that their human resources strategy reflects and promotes the goals and objectives of the organization.
William Constructions Organisational chart Senior management structure
|General Manager||John Smith|
|Operations Manager||Sam Hunter|
|Marketing Manager||Alexis Bowen|
|HR Manager||Harry Chris|
|Project Manager/s||George Brown, Steve Aby, Naval Rauf|
|HR Manager||Burke Stuart|
|Chief Engineer||Max William|
|Human resource requirement|
|Current Situation||Future Requirement|
|Service functions||Current staff||No.||Required staff||No.||Target|
|Site supervision||Foreman||3||Foreman||3||Before end of Apr ‘19|
|Engineering||Engineers||3||Engineers||2||Before end of May ‘19|
|Architecture||Architects||3||Architects||2||Before end of May ‘19|
|Supervision||Supervisors||6||Supervisors||4||Before end of Apr ‘19|
|Administration||Admin Staff||5||Admin Staff||3||Before end of June ‘19|
|Transport||Drivers||4||Drivers||2||Before end of Mar ‘19|
|Physical resource requirement|
|Current Situation||Future Requirement|
|Service functions||Current staff||No.||Required Resources||No.||Target|
|Transport||Trucks||3||Trucks||2||Before end of Apr ‘19|
|Vans||5||Vans||2||Before end of May ‘19|
|Engineering||Engineering Equipment||15||Engineering Equipment||5||Before end of May ‘19|
|Technology||Projectmanagement software||5||Project management software||5||Before end of Apr ‘19|
|Computers||15||Computers||5||Before end of June ‘19|
|Before end of Mar ‘19|
You are the Operations Manager
Your KPIs will play an important role in your operations plan’s success – so it’s critical to choose the right ones. The most effective metrics are leading indicators: predictive measures that show you what to expect in the future and allow you to adjust course accordingly.
The operational functions for you to consider are:
- Human resource acquisition,
- Physical resource acquisition,
- Other resources such as technical, financial and intangible resources,
You have identified the following contingencies:
- Staff turnover especially trained staffs causing frequent training to new staff. (industry dynamics).
- Health and safety concerns causing injuries to staffs and customers and damage to tools, equipment and property in construction.
- Purchasing failures of good quality building materials that can affect the quality finish.
- Perishing the service quality over time due to workload pressure on multiple contract handling affecting the consistency of service from contractors.
Recruitment Policy and Procedure (excerpt) – Planning Steps
STEP 1. Review Your Business Goals
First you need to have a clear understanding of where your organization is headed.
- Review the government’s key priorities or emerging directions that could have an impact on your organization’s mandate
- Review your organization’s business priorities, budget allocations and performance indicators
STEP 2 – Scan the Environment
Identify the external and internal factors that could affect your organization’s capacity to meet its objectives. External factors
- Labour market trends
- Current and projected economic conditions
- Changes in legislation
- Technological advancements
- Cultural and social values
- Workforce composition (profile, trends, skills)
- Changes in policy platform, guidelines, program delivery, organizational structure
- Government-wide initiatives, such as diversity and employment equity; official languages; training, learning and development; values and ethics; workplace well-being
STEP 3 – Identify the Gaps
Based on Step 1 and Step 2, determine your organization’s current and future human resources needs.
- Identify possible skills shortages in specific occupational groups or potential need for new
- Identify possible need for succession planning and management
- Ensure that you have met your obligations related to diversity and employment equity; official languages; training, learning and development; and values and ethics
STEP 4 – Develop Your Plan
Based on steps 1 to 3, determine the major human resources priorities and the strategies you will use to achieve the desired outcomes.
- Include human resources priorities and key planning issues in your organization’s Report on Plans
- and Priorities
- Factor in budgetary considerations into your human resources plan
- Communicate your human resources plan to all employees and stakeholders and engage managers in its implementation
STEP 5 – Measure your progress
The human resources plan is an evergreen document. Key to successful implementation is constantly measuring, monitoring and reporting on progress, and responding to changing circumstances.
- Ensure human resources performance measures are aligned with indicators in the
Management Accountability Framework and the People Component of the same Framework
- Establish a process that allows for regular review, adjustments and communication of changes —End of the Case-study —
APPENDIX 2 – PROPOSAL FOR APPROVAL
Proposal for operational plan
|1||The parties to obtain approval for the operational plan|
|2||List of stakeholders to consult for information and inputs required to develop operational plan|
|3||The individuals and teams for training and development|
|4||List of specialist advice required for acquiring resources for the development of operational plan|
|6||Required human resources|
|7||Required physical resources|
|8||Required technological resources and their intellectual rights and responsibilities|
|9||Performance standards for the workplace|
|10||Approved By:Name: ……………………………………. Position: .………………………………..||Signature………………………………. Date…………………..|
APPENDIX 3 – PLANNING TEMPLATES
You have received the following planning templates
|Contingency Plan – Template Department:Name of the Planner:Position:Date:|
|Contingency Identified||Contingency planning action||When||Who|
Consultation Plan – Template
|Stakeholder/Specialist to consult||Information required||Consultation method||Timeframe|
|Coaching and Mentoring Plan – Template Section: …………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………… Individuals: ……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………. Teams: ……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………|
|Skills to develop||Coaching/mentoring method||Resources required||Timeframe||By whom|
Recruitment plan – Template
|Strategic goal||Operational function||Staff needs||Recruitment method||Recruitment timeframe||Budget|
BSBMGT517 Manage operational plan Answers
|Document||Assessment Task 2 – BSBMGT517 Manage operational plan||Page 14 of 16|
|Date created: September 2019||Date implemented: September 2019||Date reviewed: March 2020||Responsible by: Coordinator|
Operational Plan Template
|Operational function/ strategy||Performance standards||Target/Key Performance Indicators (KPIs)||Timeframe||Person/Team Responsible||Budget|
BSBMGT517 Manage operational plan Assessment Task 2 Answers
Appendix 4 – Role-play templates
Interview Evaluation Form
|Name of candidate||Completed by|
Ratings: VS– Very Satisfactory, S-Satisfactory, NS-Not Satisfactory, NA-Not Applicable
|Criteria List questions to ask under criterion||Comment based on the response from the candidate (be very specific; support your ratings||VS||S||NS||NA|
|Experience (as related to the position)|
|Education and training (relevant to the position)|
|Knowledge of the position|
BSBMGT517 Manage operational plan
|Criteria List questions to ask under criterion||Comments (be very specific; support your ratings||VS||S||NS||NA|