Course National ID and Title
HLT54115 Diploma of Nursing
Unit/s National ID and Title
HLTAAP002 Confirm Physical Health
Assessment Task number and name
Assessment Task 3.15: Short Answer Questions
Section 15- Short answer questions Part B
Please read the following questions and briefly answer in your own words. (word limit approximately 50 to 70 words). Provide a reference source for your information
1. Identify the 2 hormones responsible for regulating blood glucose and explain their individual roles.
2. An adult develops a thyroid disorder. Differentiate between the effect of hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism on metabolism and identify 2 signs of symptoms of each.
3. Explain why are stem cells so important to blood production?
4. Explain the function and control of erythropoietin. What condition may lead to erythropoietin becoming low?
Anatomy of the heart
5. Explain the function of the pericardial membranes.
6. What is the role of the AV node in cardiac conduction and what is the effect of this on cardiac output?
Functions of the heart
7. What effect does the vagus nerve have on the heart? What effect will occur if the vagus nerve is excessively stimulated and what effect will occur if it is blocked?
8. A patient has left sided heart failure. Explain why this patient has pulmonary oedema.
9. Why is it important for the blood vessels to form a circuit?
10. Why is the aorta considered to be the “mother of all arteries?”
11. Explain the difference between angina pectoris and myocardial infarction.
12. Explain the functions of capillaries.
13. Why might a splenectomy patient be more prone to infection?
14. Explain what is an autoimmune disease? Provide one example.
15. Explain the function of pulmonary surfactant.
16. Identify 4 physical changes to the respiratory system as we age?
17. Describe GORD and explain the burning pain that occurs with this disease.
18. Why is satiety important?
19. Why is good oral health important? How does poor oral health affect health?
20. Explain how a nurse can detect a UTI using their sense of sight and smell.
21. Your patient has uncontrolled Diabetes type 1. Explain why they would be experiencing the following symptoms:
Water, electrolytes and Acid base balance
22. Describe the difference between respiratory acidosis and metabolic acidosis.
23. Identify the acid-base imbalance in this case. Explain your response.
An older patient with a history of emphysema is admitted to the hospital with pneumonia. The pO2 is 50, indicating hypoxia, the pCO2 is 60, and the blood pH is 7.25.
24. Why is the negative feedback loop important in the regulation of testosterone production?
25. Name three forms of birth control and give a brief explanation of each?
Human development and heredity
26. How do the male and female mammary glands differ during puberty?
27. A woman who has given birth to a female child blames herself for “not giving her husband a son.” Which parent is responsible for determining the sex of a child? Explain your response.