What will be assessed
The purpose of this assessment is to assess your underpinning knowledge to complete the tasks outlined in the elements and performance criteria for this unit of competency and relating to the following aspects:
· role and importance of monitoring staff performance and providing feedback and coaching
· key elements of performance standards and performance management systems:
o methods of collecting performance data
o methods of interpreting performance data
o processes for performance appraisal interviews
o type of assessment:
o productivity indicators
· forms of guidance and support to enhance staff performance:
o advice on training and development opportunities
o confirmation of organisational objectives and key performance requirements
o ensuring adequate resources are applied
o opportunity to discuss work challenges
o providing confirmation and corrective feedback
o representing staff interests in other forums
o support with difficult interpersonal situations
· potential solutions to staff performance issues:
o additional training
o adjusting workload
o agreeing on short-term goals for improvement
o assisting with problems outside of the workplace
o reorganising work practices
· performance appraisal practices:
o reasons for performance appraisal
o format for, and inclusions of, performance appraisal documents
o methods of appraising performance
· specific organisation:
o procedures for performance appraisal interviews
o procedures for formal performance management and counselling sessions:
§ formal notification to staff member and management
§ invited participation of appropriate people
§ organisation of appropriate location for counselling session
o grievance procedures.
Assessment 2 consists of a Project including 2 Parts, Part A and Part B.
– requires you to choose 3 different job roles relevant to your industry or area of training, for example Hospitality, Tourism or Events and develop the documentation for a performance appraisal procedure for these 3 positions.
requires you to write a report in which you will outline how you will administer the performance appraisal, the provisions for various feedback requirements, processes to recognise and deal with performance problems including training, and informal and formal grievance procedures
You are required to address all questions to achieve competence. Your trainer will provide you with instructions for time frames and dates to complete this assessment.
Once completed, carefully read the responses you have provided and check for completeness. Your trainer will provide you with feedback and the result you have achieved.
Your task: Answer the following questions. Each question must be completed.
This assessment consists of 2 parts, Part A and Part B
PART A – Developing procedures for performance appraisal
1. Choose 3 different positions relevant to your industry or area of study in Hospitality, Tourism or Events and determine at least 7 tasks or responsibilities of each role. Use the attached document “Performance-agreement-template.docx” or suitable documents sourced from http://www.fairwork.gov.au/about-us/policies-and-guides/templates (Managing performance), to record your tasks and responsibilities.
Examples for different positions and job roles in these sectors can be accessed under following links:
http://www.thejobilove.com.au/category.php?id=13 (travel and tourism)
2. For each job role and each task, establish the key performance indicators. The following links can help you to define these:
3. Develop measurable criteria which you will use to base your questions for the individual appraisals on.
4. Develop the annual performance review document addressing the criteria developed in Question 3 which will be used for the staff performance appraisal
See example review templates at:
Note: if a sample template is selected, you must amend the existing criteria therein to reflect those you have developed in Question 3.
PART B – Report
Write a report that clearly outlines how you will implement the performance appraisal for your 3 staff. Your report needs to include the following details: