BSBLDR511 Develop and use emotional intelligence
Learner Instructions 1
(Reflect on your emotional intelligence)
You will demonstrate the skills and knowledge needed to identify the impact of your own emotions on others in the workplace.
For this assessment task, you will identify your own emotional strengths and weaknesses, reflect on actual workplace behaviour and use self-reflection and others’ feedback to improve emotional intelligence. Candidates will submit a written reflection and supporting documentation (outlined in specifications) as evidence of competence.
Gather content for, plan, write and submit a reflection on your own emotional intelligence in accordance with quality specifications:
- Use at least one appropriate tool or methods to identify your own emotional strengths and weaknesses. Options include, for example:
- personal SWOT analysis
- workplace 360° evaluation
- online emotional intelligence test
Note: Keep evidence (for example, worksheets and screenshots) to submit with your reflection as evidence.
- Identify at least three instances where you have felt stressed or experienced a negative emotional state at work. For each instance, consider the precise context, causes and your response.
- Identify at least two causes or triggers of your own personal emotional states at work. Identify how you can use awareness of such triggers to control your responses and achieve positive outcomes, especially with respect to your impact on others and their work performance.
- Identify at least one instance of modelling workplace behaviours that demonstrate management of emotions as an example for others to follow.
- Identify three actions you will take to improve your own emotional intelligence on the basis of self-reflection or feedback from others. Reflect on emotional intelligence principles and strategies to justify your proposed actions.
- Submit your written reflection and supporting documentation in accordance with specifications set out below.
You must provide:
- a written reflection
- supporting documentation, such as worksheets, emails or screenshots to provide evidence of measures used to gather information on your own emotional intelligence.
Your assessor will be looking for the following quality specifications as demonstrated in your written reflection:
- your reflection on personal attributes, consideration of the impact on others and modification of your approach to support your development
- identification of the impact of your own emotions on others by identifying your emotional strengths and weaknesses, stressors, emotional states and triggers and gathering feedback from others
- description and examples of your modelling behaviours that demonstrate management of emotions
- knowledge of emotional intelligence principles and strategies
- knowledge of the relationship between emotionally effective people and the attainment of business objectives.