BSBWOR501 Manage personal work priorities and professional development
Learner Instructions 1
(Manage personal work priorities)
The candidate will demonstrate the ability to establish personal work goals. The candidate will also demonstrate the ability to set and meet work priorities.
You are a Store Manager for Australian Hardware. Using the position description provided by the Chief Operating Officer, Mary Chu (played by your assessor), you will set work goals and prioritise work goals. You will then develop two work plans to achieve two work goals. You are required to keep a journal containing your reflections on and explanation of the process of managing work priorities.
- Review your position description and the Australian Hardware simulated organisation business plans, business goals, policies and procedures.
In your journal, provide a list of the organisation’s policies, procedures and plans
- Based on your position description (and following the Australian Hardware simulated organisation’s business plans, goals, and applicable policies and procedures), establish four to five goals (including both personal and team goals).
In your journal, describe how and why you established goals. Explain the value of personal and team goal-setting in an organisation.
- Develop KPIs to measure performance related to work goals. In your journal, describe:
- How the KPIs will be used to measure goal-related performance.
- How you will maintain performance under varying conditions and contingencies. Give specific examples.
- How, given your own personal strengths and weaknesses, you will capitalise on or minimise the effect of these personal traits in your work plans.
- Consider a range of activities to advance work goals. Prioritise possible activities. Choose two work goals to develop work plans for. In your journal, describe the process you undertook to prioritise the activities. Describe competing demands and how you plan to manage these to achieve goals.
- Referring to the template provided in Appendix 1 as an example, use Microsoft Word to develop two work plans to achieve the two goals you have prioritised. In your journal, describe the process of developing your plans to manage work priorities. Describe how you have used the plans to manage time efficiently.
- In your journal, describe:
- How you will ensure you serve as a positive role model through work planning and organisation. Give examples. Describe how your work plans serve as examples to follow in the simulated organisation.
- How you will maintain appropriate work–life balance, manage stress and maintain health.
- Submit your position description, work plans and journal to the Chief Operating Officer, Mary Chu (played by your assessor) as per the specifications below. Ensure you keep a copy of all work submitted for your records.
You must provide:
- a position description
- two work plans produced using Microsoft Word
- a journal.
Your assessor will be looking for evidence of:
- use of literacy skills to interpret written job descriptions, business plans, policies and procedures, etc
- use of organisational skills to set and achieve priorities
- application of principles and techniques of performance measurement:
○ identification of personal behaviour to assist in managing work priorities and work–life balance
○ goal setting
○ time management
- application of organisational policy, plans or procedures to setting or planning the achievement of work goals
- application of knowledge of work practices to improve personal performance.