BSBSUS401 Implement and monitor environmentally sustainable work practices
Instruction for assessment
This assessment consists of 2 parts:
- Part A requires you identify and analyse legal requirements and initiatives that relate to your industry and workplace. You are required to measure current resource usage, analyse purchasing strategies and current work practices in order to identify opportunities for improvement of resource usage and set new targets.
- Part B requires you to implement resource efficiency improvement plans by using techniques and tools to assist in achieving efficiency targets and monitor the performance of these.
All written work must be your own.
Any sources of information you access and use for this assessment must be clearly referenced.
You may use the templates attached at the end of this assessment or amend these to suit your needs.
Legislation and sources of information for resources and initiatives
- Identify the environmental regulations which apply in your local government area relevant to your workplace activities and provide details what is covered by these regulations and by-laws.
- Identify any resources and initiatives which are in place or available in your state to help business to reduce their waste and use resources more efficiently.
- List 1 initiative that is relevant to your sector within the Tourism, Hospitality and Events Industry and list all resources which are available through these initiative(s). Outline how these would be used.
Measuring current consumption and identifying existing procedures of work practices and purchasing:
Conduct a practical assessment of your organisation’s resources and practices. You may use the forms attached below to collect your data or any software available to you (for example you may create a spreadsheet using Microsoft Excel).
For this purpose you need to complete the following activities:
- Take the current meter reading for gas, electricity and water.
- Create a table or list and enter: all equipment and appliances used in one specific department (for example Kitchen, F&B etc.), and measure the consumption of electricity as listed on the appliance labels.
- Measure the flow rate for water of various taps using the formula “Flow rate = Volume/Time (L/min)”
- Inspect the type of lighting used and determine the KW/H (1000 Watt = 1 KWH) used in that department based on typical or given workplace practices during operation.
- Inspect the provisions for recycling.
- Determine the intervals of waste collection and determine the size of the cubicle(s) used.
- This task is performed outside: Wearing gloves and using tongs, physically inspect the contents of garbage bins from your department and inspect the approximate waste for each category (Glass, paper, card board, green waste etc) and express these in percent (approximately).
- Determine the energy consumption ratings, use and settings of air conditioners and heaters where applicable and document the potential KWH usage for these units.
- Determine the resources required for any plants, landscaping or outside areas as relevant.
- List the purchasing strategies which are currently in place including environmentally sustainable approaches; carbon foot print considerations (for example use local supplies from growers etc.)
- Identify any workplace environmental and occupational hazards you may encounter during your resource analysis.
- Identify any breaches or potential breaches for environmental practices you have encountered in the audited area during your project and outline the issues.
Setting efficiency targets
- Analyse the results you have obtained for usage of resources and compare these results against:
- Work and workflow processes: – which improvements could be made?
- Industry Schemes: – How do your results compare?
- Technology: – Are you using efficient technology?
- Resources: – Is there a benefit of switching e.g. from electricity to gas in some areas or using other measures?
- Best Practice: – Are there recommendations from manufacturers or bodies that recommend particular practices?
- Set your targets in a table or spreadsheet based on your findings of the analysis.
- Outline the provisions for communication this would require with key stakeholders relevant to your position and workplace and how this will be achieved. Include a template for an agenda and table for entering actions.
For this part of the assessment project you are required to write and environmental resource efficiency improvement plan which details the following:
- The purpose of the plan
- An overview what has been undertaken and why
- The resource areas and targets you have established based on Section 3, Part A;
- The measures and tools you will implement to achieve these targets;
- Strategies that can be used to ensure staff compliance with environmental requirements and to achieve new targets;
- Strategies you will use for purchasing and selection of supply chains;
- A calculation which will provide information as to the potential savings that can be achieved over time, given the investment;
Use of e.g. 10 light bulbs rated at 0.060 KWH in Kitchen area could be replaced with 10 energy saving bulbs rated at 0.012 KWH which would represent an energy saving of (10 * 48 = 0.480KWH) 0.480 KW per hour x $ 0.28 = $ 0. 1344 per hour or at 10 hours per day: $ 0.1344 x 10 = $1.35/ Day.
For a 7 day operation this then equates to a potential saving of $ 492.75 minus the proportion of the cost of the energy saving bulb @ $ 7.50 /5000 hours ($1.50 per 1000 hours use)versus an ordinary bulb @ $ 0.75 /1000 hours lifespan.
10 Showerheads in guest rooms rated A could be replaced by ones rated AAA with a potential saving of (10 * 55 L = 550 L ) 550 Litres per day etc. (0.55 x 1.80 = $ 0.99/day x 365 = $ 361.35/year) minus the initial cost for purchasing the more efficient showerheads (for the first year only)
- The provisions for communication to periodically discuss and network with colleagues to make adjustments and identify progress;
- A spreadsheet or set of tools which can be used to record and monitor periodic results from readings and invoices/ statements for utilities;
- Examples how you will evaluate strategies and make adjustments to the improvement plan
This problem has been solved.
Cite This work.
To export a reference to this article please select a referencing stye below.
Urgent Homework (2022) . Retrive from https://www.urgenthomework.com/sample-homework/bsbsus401-project
"." Urgent Homework ,2022, https://www.urgenthomework.com/sample-homework/bsbsus401-project
Urgent Homework (2022) . Available from: https://www.urgenthomework.com/sample-homework/bsbsus401-project
Urgent Homework . ''(Urgent Homework ,2022) https://www.urgenthomework.com/sample-homework/bsbsus401-project accessed 18/08/2022.
- 24 x 7 Availability.
- Trained and Certified Experts.
- Deadline Guaranteed.
- Plagiarism Free.
- Privacy Guaranteed.
- Free download.
- Online help for all project.
- Homework Help Services