- What is ethics, and why is it important to act according to a code of ethics?
- Why is business ethics becoming increasingly important?
- What are organizations doing to improve their business ethics?
- Why are organizations interested in fostering good business ethics?
- What approach can you take to ensure ethical decision making?
- What trends have increased the risk of using information technology in an unethical manner?
Acting in accordance with a personal code of principles
- Extending same respect and consideration to all that one expects to receive from others
- Applying the same moral standards in all situations
- Inconsistency emerges:
– In a situation that conflicts with one’s moral standards
– If one applies moral standards differently according to the situation or people involved
Code of ethics
– Company-wide acceptance requires employee participation andendorsement by the leadership
– Must be easily accessible by employees, shareholders, business partners, and the public
– Must continually be applied to a company’s decision making and be an important part of its culture
Do you think it is appropriate for businesses, when operating in foreign countries, to adjust their code of ethics in order to fall in line with the ethical norms of the host country?
– Showing employees examples of how to apply the code of ethics in real life
– Comprehensive ethics education program that encourages employees to act ethically
– Encourage employees to report any misconducts
– Show employees effective ways of reporting incidents
– Reassure employees that such feedback will be acted on and that they will not be subjected to retaliation
Treating others fairly and with respect
- Operating effectively in a multicultural environment
- Accepting personal accountability for meeting business needs
- Continually developing others and themselves
- Operating openly and honestly with suppliers, customers, and other employees
Why are employees afraid of reporting ethics violations, even when the appropriate reporting mechanism is in place?
- Many employees are aware of reporting procedures for ethics violations, but
which of the managerial behaviors would be worthy of reporting as an ethics violation? At what point does managerial behavior warrant reporting?