Grevillea Ridge is a family operated winery on the Mornington Peninsula in Victoria. Michelle and Marcus Albertino own the property, which includes 20 hectares of grape plantings and a cellar door which is open to the public.
Michelle and Marcus have been opening the cellar door to the public seven days per week. However, most of their cellar door sales are made on the weekend and they recently decided to close the cellar door on weekdays so that they could focus on building their clientele through online and telephone sales.
Marcus tends to the grapes and supervises wine production. Michelle is responsible for all other winery operations. She employs two staff to assist her. Michael D'Angelo is employed on a full time basis and Eloise Simmons is employed two days per week.
Customers who buy wine through the cellar door are encouraged to sign up to ‘Grevillea Ridge Wine Club’. They receive monthly emails regarding new vintages and special offers. Michelle and her team have also been marketing their wines to boutique wine stores. They now have several wholesale business customers (wine retailers) who purchase at trade pricing. Grevillea Ridge’s traditional customer base has been Victoria. Michelle sees the expansion into other states as a great marketing opportunity.
Michelle expects staff to make regular contact with customers on the marketing list as well as developing new wholesale business customers. In an effort to increase sales, she has recently decided to include a Monthly Offer in her marketing emails. In February, she offered an extra 15% discount to all business retailers and in March she offered free delivery to all customers.
Michelle has asked you to analyse the sales data and write a report with regards to the sales and in particular the effectiveness of the recent campaigns and her efforts to increase sales outside of Victoria. She realises there are other factors that may impact these results. Some of these issues should be outlined and considered before you make your recommendations to improve the business.
A spreadsheet has been provided for you containing the data for sales during January, February and March.
The analysis, findings and recommendations which you prepare for Michelle and Marcus should be outlined in a professional business report.
This report should include:
- A brief Introductionthat outlines clearly the purpose of the report.
- A brief presentation of the analysis you have carried out of the data contained in the spreadsheet.
- A discussion regarding the results of your analysis.
- Identification/discussion regarding other factorsthat may be affecting the results.
- A short concluding summaryof the content of the report.
- Finally, at least two clear recommendationsthat Marcus and Michelle can adopt. These recommendations must be drawn from the analysis that you have carried out, and must have been discussed in the body of your report.