1. What conflicting values are evident in this case?
2. What advice would you give Indira Pandit and Sudhir Gupta about a way forward that resolves the values conflict?
3. What management competencies do you believe this case highlights that are important for the 21st century leader manager in VUCA world?
4. What conflicting values are evident in this case?
5. What advice would you give Cheryl Hailstrom about a way forward that resolves the values conflict?
6. What management competencies do you believe this case highlights that are important for the 21st century leader-manager in VUCA world?
1. The conflicting values based on the case study, include strong convictions about ways to achieve a goal vs. collaboration with different ideas supported by a significant number of stakeholders. Also, compassion vs. self-reliance and commitment to shared love vs. coldness. O'Neill, Beauvais, & Scholl, (2016) indicate that organizational culture entails, vision, systems, symbols, working language, norms, habits, and beliefs. It is organizational culture that determines how employees interact amongst themselves, with customers and other stakeholders. But in this case study, it seems that only Indira Pandit, the vice president of HR that has a strong conviction that the employees who are leaving the organization need to be retained to continue supporting the company to the realization of its goals. But on the other side, based on the chuckled, when Kumar Chandra, asked “How long is this list of escapees?” it appears there is a huge support that employees that want to quit should so (Garvin, 2014). Also, is the only one who seems to show compassion for the employees the organization, but others like Vikram feel that as a company they are self-reliant, because he does not see employee retention as a basis for growth. In addition, it is only Indira Pandit that seems to believe that there is need to show love to all employees and embrace them as an approach to retain them, while others are cold and condescending.
2. My advice is to these personalities is that they should root for the people support idea, because it is an integral part of Parivar‘s culture. The “people support idea” is a culture that is grounded on community and brotherhood (Garvin, 2014). Therefore, these two personalities need to realize that the employees leaving voluntarily the organization confirm that organizational culture of Parivar is failing. But by embracing the idea, the firm will retain some employees and build a family-like culture to steer their firm to every-increasing success and profitability. The review of the research of Anitha, (2016), it is apparent that “highly skilled worker prefer a family oriented participative culture.” However, at Parivar that is not the case, and that is why other stakeholders are not seeing the need to retaining their co-workers. On that account, give Indira Pandit and Sudhir Gupta need to realize that they need to call for a crisis meeting to help them discuss issues that are motivating employees to leave and find an amicable solution. O'Neill, Beauvais, & Scholl, (2016) agree that organizational culture involves a shared meaning. But, Indira Pandit and Sudhir need to admit that they have failed to have a shared meaning and that the reason employees are leaving.
3. The management competencies that this case presents are:
Creating a shared vision, and mission of the organization, creating an organizational culture that is family-based to enhance cooperation among employees.
Human skills in building workplace relationships
Employee retention and human resource and development
Conflict resolution to enhance teamwork and cooperation
4. The conflict values include restraint vs. persistent in problem solving, being expedient vs. decision making to resolve issues. In this case study, Cherly is ambitious and believes that she can turn around Lakeland and make it more profitable. A majority of the employees are showing restraint, and seem to distance themselves from the ambitious plan of Cheryl. According to the case study, “Everyone here is in the slow lane. They’re all wedded to the ways things have always been done (McNulty, 2002).” This clear implies that Cheryl is facing resistance in turning around Lakeland. However, Cheryl is committed to make a painful decision to allow the company to go global and to leverage opportunities in the global markets. The majority of the employees here want things to be done expediently or want Cheryl to maintain status quo. All in all, Cheryl needs to make a painful decision, which in her belief will steer Lakeland in the right direction.
5. First and foremost, I would remind Cheryl in this era of globalization, the success of a business is hinged on growth. Growth is about expanding the market share and sales. Cherly needs to know that growth starts first with embracing organizational change. In the review of Yousef, (2017) research, it is indicated that job satisfaction, organizational, and attitudes determine the organizational change. Therefore, Cheryl needs to focus on changing the attitudes and behaviors of employees to bring them on board to support her vision and mission. Ideally, the change, in this case should be centered on bringing all employees on board to the successful growth of sales. Thus, what Cheryl needs to change the attitudes of employees towards growth and changes that come with this move. If the employees will support the cause and have a positive attitude towards growth, it would be possible to pursue it. Ideally, the point is that changing the attitudes of the employees to support the changes that come with this growth is necessary for Cheryl to realize her goal for Lakeland. Beside, Cheryl needs to improve her communication with employees and top management of Lakeland. Effective communication will enable Cheryl to share her vision with all Lakeland staff, and put sense in her push for expansion of the firm to global markets. It is also through communication that Cheryl will create and share her vision and mission with employees. All in all, if Cheryl improves communication she will be able to bring all employees on board to support her vision and mission for the firm.
6. The competencies include:
Implementing Organizational change
Managing resistance to new organizational culture
Effective organizational leadership
The above competencies are key to leader-manager in VUCA world. Based on this case study, Cheryl needs to the above management competencies to navigate through the resistance or opposition she is getting as she seeks to move Lakeland to the next level.
Anitha, J. (2016). Role of Organisational Culture and Employee Commitment in Employee Retention. ASBM Journal of Management, 9(1).
Garvin, David A. (2014). Can A strong Culture Be Strong?. Harvard Business Review. Retrieved from: https://hbr.org/2014/01/can-a-strong-culture-be-too-strong
McNulty, Eric J. (2002). Welcome Aboard (But Don’t Change A thing). Harvard Business Review. Retrieved from: https://hbr.org/2002/10/welcome-aboard-but-dont-change-a-thing
O'Neill, J. W., Beauvais, L. L., & Scholl, R. W. (2016). The use of organizational culture and structure to guide strategic behavior: An information processing perspective. Journal of Behavioral and Applied Management, 2(2), 816.
Yousef, D. A. (2017). Organizational commitment, job satisfaction and attitudes toward organizational change: A study in the local government. International Journal of Public Administration, 40(1), 77-88.
To export a reference to this article please select a referencing stye below.
Urgent Homework (2022) . Retrive from https://www.urgenthomework.com/sample-homework/managemt7087-organisations-shaping-organisational-culture
"." Urgent Homework ,2022, https://www.urgenthomework.com/sample-homework/managemt7087-organisations-shaping-organisational-culture
Urgent Homework (2022) . Available from: https://www.urgenthomework.com/sample-homework/managemt7087-organisations-shaping-organisational-culture
Urgent Homework . ''(Urgent Homework ,2022) https://www.urgenthomework.com/sample-homework/managemt7087-organisations-shaping-organisational-culture accessed 03/10/2022.
Talk to our expert to get the help with MANAGEMT7087 | Organisations | Shaping Organisational Culture Answers to complete your assessment on time and boost your grades now
The main aim/motive of the management assignment help services is to get connect with a greater number of students, and effectively help, and support them in getting completing their assignments the students also get find this a wonderful opportunity where they could effectively learn more about their topics, as the experts also have the best team members with them in which all the members effectively support each other to get complete their diploma assignments. They complete the assessments of the students in an appropriate manner and deliver them back to the students before the due date of the assignment so that the students could timely submit this, and can score higher marks.Â The experts of the assignment help services at urgenthomework.com are so much skilled, capable, talented, and experienced in their field of programming homework help writing assignments, so, for this, they can effectively write the best economics assignment help services.