Standex Ltd is a management consultant business, helping companies to select and implement information systems to gain competitive advantage and market share, mainly focussed within the travel and tourism industry. You are a Business Analyst at Standex Ltd and have been approached by Tiger Travel Ltd. (a small travel agency), who are interested in modernising their management information system. This is because previously the company specialised in booking short-haul flights to Europe for individuals and small business owners and was able to provide this service via a third-party with access to the customer reservation system (CRS). As business, has improved, Tiger Travel Ltd has now decided to become a fully-fledged travel agency providing business and specialised holiday packages at the higher end of the market to business clients. To achieve this, they are aware that they will have to connect to the Global Distribution System (GDS) and have some initial web presence.
Providing professional advice to Tiger Travel Ltd on the requirements of connecting to the GDS, the benefits of the GDS, cost of access/ licencing and the benefits of attaining a web-presence.
Your task is to write a business report for Tiger Travel Ltd to help them to understand
- A comprehensive discussion on the different types of GDS available in the Travel & Tourism industry.
- Critical analysis of the available methods used to connect to the GDS and the monthly/yearly cost associated with business access/licences etc.
- Evaluate how these IS systems are used to improve efficiency and profitability in the travel and tourism industry.
- A recommendation that will enable Tiger Travel Ltd. to have a web presence and the cost that this will incur.
- Discussion pertaining to the changing role of the IS manager, in the travel & tourism industry, as the company grows.