Unit 5 Problems
Application problems including rational equations.
Set up a rational equation and then solve the following problems.
1. A positive integer is twice another. The sum of the reciprocals of the two positive integers is 3/14 . Find the two integers.
let one integer = x
other integer = 2x
sum of reciprocal = 1/x + 1/2x=3/14
=> x = 7
one no. = 7
other no. = 14.
2. A positive integer is twice another. The difference of the reciprocals of the two positive integers is 1/18 Find the two integers.
Let one of the integer be x
The other is 2x.
Multiply through by18x:
18-9=x so x=9.
The two integers are 9 and 18.
3. John can jog twice as fast as he can walk. He was able to jog the first 5 miles to his grandmother's house, but then he tired and walked the remaining 2 miles. If the total trip took 0.9 hours, then what was his average jogging speed?
Let x = his jogging speed
2x = his walking speed
write a time equation, time = dist/speed
jog time + walk time = 0.9 hrs
x = 6.67
John’s jogging speed is therefore 6.67 miles/hr.
4. A bus averages 2 miles per hour faster than a motorcycle. If the bus travels 165 miles in the same time it takes the motorcycle to travel 155 miles, then what is the speed of each?
Let the speed of motorcycle be x
Speed of the bus = x+2
Hence: the speed of the motorcycle is 31 Miles/Hour
Speed of the bus is x+2=31+2 = 33 Miles/Hour.
5. Jane can paint the office by herself in 7 hours. Working with an associate, she can paint the office in 3 hours. How long would it take her associate to do it working alone?
Let the time taken by associate alone be x.
Multiply all through by 21x
Earn back money you have spent on downloaded sample
To export a reference to this article please select a referencing stye below.
Urgent Homework (2022) . Retrive from http://www.urgenthomework.com/sample-homework/rational-equations
"." Urgent Homework ,2022, http://www.urgenthomework.com/sample-homework/rational-equations
Urgent Homework (2022) . Available from: http://www.urgenthomework.com/sample-homework/rational-equations
Urgent Homework . ''(Urgent Homework ,2022) http://www.urgenthomework.com/sample-homework/rational-equations accessed 21/01/2022.