Note: Use the relations that you created in the above step 1- Normalization to create a database. The recommended tool for this work is Microsoft Access, version 2010 or later. One reason for recommending Microsoft Access is that your unit lecturer/tutor will be able to provide adequate support to you in the use of this tool. The remainder of this document in Part A assumes that you are using MS-Access.
In implementing the ER model provided, you must complete the following tasks:
Create all the relations in a Microsoft Access database. Consider each attribute in every table and make appropriate choices regarding data types & sizes, indexes, required/not required and validation rules . Your choices should be appropriate for each attribute and should support data integrity. (Note: see the Data Integrity section below for specific data integrity requirements)
Review the default index created by Access for each table. You should ensure that the indexes follow the guidelines given in the unit textbook.
Populate the database with sample data of your own. You must include sufficient sample data to test your queries and report. Please note that the expected result of query questions may depend on the actual sample data populated.
Select one table that contains at least three different data type attributes, such as date, text and currency value attributes. For that selected table, develop and implement suitable integrity constraints for its attributes. You need to provide those integrity constraints in the following tabular form:
Integrity constraint implemented
Create queries to answer the following information requests. Note: Do not use the Access query builder (QBE) to create your queries – you should type the queries manually using SQL view/editor.
The marking process of the queries for information requests may also consider the effectiveness of your SQL statements that have been used in the queries. It is important that your SQL statements must reflect the correct business logic & SQL syntax.
Note: Use enough sample data so that the output is produced by each and every query.
1. For each kind of delivery status find out the number of parcels. Display the delivery status and the corresponding number of parcels. Note: Delivery status can be different based on your assumption, however they could be collected or transit, delivered, returned, transit and so on.
2. Display the number of parcels that have been lost but have not been claimed yet for any compensation.
3. Display the details of the customers who have contributed the maximum amount of charges to CQPS through all of their parcel delivery orders.
4. List the details of employees who have handled/involved with at least five parcels and at the same time have not been involved with any of the lost parcels. Display their details in ascending order of their name.
5. Display the details of employee(s) whose name contains the word “wheel”.
Create a simple report object showing the details of parcels that have been lost. The report should also display the details of senders of the parcels and the employees who collected them.
You must also provide a short implementation report describing your experiences with this assignment. You may discuss any of the following:
1. Any two interesting things/procedures you have learnt by doing this assignment.
2. Any one of the assignment tasks that was relatively difficult / complex to solve but has been successfully completed by you.
Use the implementation report to demonstrate that you have thought carefully about the issues that arise when implementing a relational database.
Microsoft Access databases file containing:
1. Tables with sample data
4. Integrity constraints
5. Report (object).
A Microsoft Word document containing:
1. A set of relations mapped from E-R diagram (3NF)
2. Two relations with functional dependencies and demonstration of normalization
3. A table showing integrity constraints used in the selected table
4. Implementation report
Your document should contain appropriate identification information (your student number, name, unit number, etc.) and should contain the relevant headings for each section.
Part B. Database implementation using MySQL Server (5 Marks)
Consider a simplified version E-R model for the CQPS, where youonly deal with three relations Customer, Parcel and Employee (ignore all other relations). Based on this simplified E-R model and using MySQL Workbench, create a database schema with the above three relations, including the primary keys, foreign keys and an E-R diagram. Please see the document titled – Appendix - Guidelines and the assessment task for Assignment 2 – Part B on moodle unit website.
You must work individually on this assignment. Penalties related to late submission and plagiarism will be applied as per University policy.
The model solution to this assignment will be released approximately two (2) weeks after the due date.
Assignments that are submitted after the release of the model solution will receive zero marks.
You must state in your word document the details of all materials and sources that you used to complete this assignment. This may be as simple as 'This assignment was completed using only the COIT 20247 unit materials'.
Extension requests (by filling in an online form) should be submitted before the assignment due date.
Before submitting your assignment, review the marking criteria provided on the last page of this document. Ensure that all the criteria are addressed in your submission.
Very affordable projects!! And that to submit before deadlines. Thanks for helping me in my database project and raising my grades. I have been able to secure good marks in my internal assessment only because of you. Read More