ELEN E6761 Computer Communication Networks
Homework 4: CSMA
- In all our discussions so far we have considered equal size packets where the transmission time of each packet was one unit. In this question, we consider slotted CSMA with variable packet lengths. Assume that the transmission time of each packet is a random variable X; for consistency with the slotted assumption, assume that X is discrete, taking values that are integer multiples of β. Assume that all transmission times are independent and identically distributed (i.i.d.) with the mean X¯ = 1. Further, the idle detection time β is very small.
- Let Y be the longer of two iid transmissions X1 and X2 (i.e., Y = max(X1,X2)). Show that the expected value of Y satisfies Y¯ ≤ 2X¯.
- Using (a), show that the expected cycle length, given a collision of two packets, is atmost 2 + β.
- Let Nk = n be the number of packets in the system at the beginning of cycle k. Show that the the expected number of attempted transmissions in this cycle is g(n) = λβ +
- Show that the expected cycle length is at most
βe−g(n) + (1 + β)g(n)e−g(n) + (1 + (β/2))g2(n)e−g(n).
Hint: To show this, use the following facts: a binomial B(n,p) distribution can be approximated by a poisson distribution with mean np if n is large and p is small, then it follows that the number of attempted transmissions can be approximated by a Poisson random variable with mean g(n). Also we can ignore collisions of more than two packets as the probability of such events is negligible (g(n) is small).
- Find an upperbound on the drift Dk and write down the condition on the arrival rate λ for stability of the system.
- Show that the throughput is maximized (for small β) by g(n) = √β.
- What is the optimal q∗? What is the maximum throughput?
- Homework Help USA
- Assignment Help USA
- Homework Help New York
- Chicago Referencing
- Campsbell University assignment help
- Colorado State University
- Harrisburg University assignment help
- Hult International Business School
- Illinois State University
- Liberty University assignment help
- New Hampshire University
- NYU Essay Writing Help
- Richard Bland College of William and Mary Navitas
- Saint Leo University
- Stanford Essay help
- SUNY Geneseo university assignment
- University of Alabama
- University of Hofstra
- University of Houston Essay
- University of Oregon State
- California Essay Writers Online
- Columbia University essay writing services
- Texas Essay Writing Service
- Write My Assignment USA
USA Universities Questions
- CS 5480/6480: Computer Networks
- IT Infrastructure Project Phase II Instructions
- Purdue University essay Writing
- MBI 635 Example Assignment Answers
- GEOL 591 Subsurface Methods
- PE 7023 Advanced Production Design
- Econ 201 Principles of Microeconomics
- ITS350 LAB REPORT
- IT 204 Database Proposal and Implementation Plan Report
- Mythology Assignment University Of Maryland
- IS 333A Business Computer Systems Analysis
- ELEN E6761 Computer Communication Networks