HI5019 Tutorial Questions 2
Assessment Task – Tutorial Questions Unit Code: HI5019 Unit Name: Strategic Information Systems for Business and Enterprise Assignment: Tutorial Questions 2 Holmes Institute Assignment
Purpose: This assignment is designed to assess your level of knowledge of the key topics covered in this unit
Unit Learning Outcomes Assessed:
1. Critically evaluate the purpose and role of accounting information systems in today’s business environment;
2. Articulate the various transaction cycles, financial reporting, management reporting systems and e-commerce systems to technical and non-technical stakeholders;
3. Evaluate systems development methodologies and the role of accountants in system development projects;
4. Critically evaluate the range of cultural, security, privacy and ethical issues facing individuals and organisations as a result of information systems.
Description: Each week students were provided with three tutorial questions of varying degrees of difficulty. These tutorial questions are available in the Tutorial Folder for each week on Blackboard. The Interactive Tutorials are designed to assist students with the process, skills and knowledge to answer the provided tutorial questions. Your task is to answer a selection of tutorial questions for weeks 6 to 10 inclusive and submit these answers in a single document.
The questions to be answered are:
The following is a description of the conversion cycle of Central Production Limited:
The conversion cycle of the company is triggered by a report from the warehouse. When the quantity of an inventory item falls below a pre-set minimum level, the warehouse manager sends an online inventory status report to production department advising them to schedule a production batch run for the item.
Upon receipt of the report, the production clerk assesses the digital bill of materials and the route sheet files for the item to be produced and adds the production details to the online production schedule.
The system automatically adds a record to the open work order file and sends an online work order to the work centre supervisor’s computer and to the accounting clerk’s computer.
The work centre supervisor receives the work order from his computer and print hard-copy move tickets and materials requisitions for each production process. Production employees take the materials requisitions to store clerk and receives the materials and subassemblies needed to perform the production tasks. If additional materials beyond the standard amount is needed, the work centre supervisor prepares additional materials requisitions.
Production employees complete job time tickets after completing a production process to record the time spent on the job. The job time tickets are then sent together with the move tickets to the accounting department.
After releasing the materials into production, the store clerk updates the material inventory records and send the materials requisitions to accounting department. The clerk prepares a journal voucher and posts to the general ledger material control account at the end of each day.
The accounting clerk assesses the work orders and set up a work-in-process account for a production batch. Throughout the production period, the clerk also receives move tickets, job tickets, and materials requisitions, which he uses to post to the work-in-process account. At the end of each day, the accounting clerk prepares a digital journal voucher and post it to the general ledger work-inprocess and finished goods control accounts.
Identify the risks exist in the conversion cycle of Central Production Limited. (10 marks, maximum 300 words)
Richard Palm is the accounting clerk of Olive Limited. He uses the source documents such as purchase orders, sales invoices and suppliers’ invoices to prepare journal vouchers for general ledger entries. Each day he posts the journal vouchers to the general ledger and the related subsidiary ledgers. At the end of each month, he reconciles the subsidiary accounts to their control accounts in the general ledger to ensure they balance.
Discuss the internal control weaknesses and risks associated with the above process. (10 marks, maximum 300 words)
Elegant Limited sells restored classic cars. Most of its customers are private buyers who buy cars for themselves. However, some of them are investors who buy multiple cars and hold them for resale. All sales of Elegant Limited are for cash.
Depict the association and cardinality for the sales of cars at Elegant Limited based on REA model. (10 marks, maximum 300 words)
You are currently working in a mid-tier accounting firm. In an engagement meeting with a client, the management of your client is concerned that the audit tests that you perform will disrupt operations. Your client has recently implemented a data warehouse and the management suggests that you draw the data for analytical reviews and substantive testing from the data warehouse instead of the operational database. The management points out that operational data are copied weekly into the data warehouse and all data you need are contained there.
Outline your response to the management’s proposal and mention any concerns you might have. (10 marks, maximum 300 words)
The Chief Information Officer (CIO) and the Managing Director (MD) of Illustrious Limited recently had the following conversation regarding the development of a new information system for the company:
CIO: The way to go about the analysis is to first examine the old system, such as reviewing key documents and observing the workers performing their tasks. Then we can determine which aspects are working well and which should be preserved.
MD: We have been through these types of projects before, and what always ends up happening is that we do not get the new system we are promised. Instead we get a modified version of the old system.
CIO: I can assure you that will not happen this time. My team just want a thorough understanding of what is working well and what is not.
MD: I would feel much more comfortable if we first started with a list of our requirements. We should spend more time in determining what exactly we want the system to do upfront. Then your team can come in and determine what portions to salvage if you wish. Just don’t constrain us to the old system!
- The CIO and MD have different views on how the system analysis should be performed. Comment on whose position you sympathise with the most. (6 marks, maximum 200 words)
- What method would you recommend to Illustrious Limited for system analysis? Explain. (4 marks, maximum 150 words)
- HA2011 Managerial Accounting
- HA2022 Business Law
- HA2042 Accounting Information Systems T2 2019
- HA3011 Advanced Financial Accounting
- HA3042 Taxation Law
- HC1010 Accounting For Business
- HC1082 Marketing T2 2020
- HI5001 Accounting for Business Decisions
- HI5002 Finance for Business Tutorial Questions 2
- HI5002: Finance for Business
- HI5003 Economics for Business
- HI5004 Marketing Management T1 2020 Individual Report
- HI5004 Marketing Management T1 2020 Group Report
- HI5004 Marketing Management
- HI5014 International Business Across Borders
- HI5015 Legal Aspects of International business
- HI5016 international trade and enterprise
- Hi5017 Managerial Accounting T1 2021
- Hi5017 Activity-based costing
- HI5017 Managerial Accounting
- HI5017 Managerial Accounting T2 2019
- HI5017 Managerial Accounting Trimester 1 2019
- HI5017 Managerial Accounting Trimester 3 2018
- HI5017 Managerial Accounting Trimester 1 2018
- HI5019 Tutorial Questions 2
- HI5019 Tutorial Questions 1
- HI5019 T1 2020
- HI5019 Strategic Information systems for business and enterprise
- HI5019 Strategic Information Systems
- HI5019 T2 2019
- HI5019 T1 2019
- HI5020 Corporate Accounting Tutorial Questions 2
- HI5020 Corporate Accounting
- HI6005 Assignment
- HI6005: Management and Organisations
- HI6005 Research Paper 2
- HI6006 Tutorial questions
- HI6006 Competitive Strategy Individual T1 2020
- HI6006 Competitive Strategy
- HI6006 Assignment 2 Group Report
- HI6007 Final Assignment T2 2021
- HI6007 Assessment 2 T1 2020
- HI6007 group assignment
- HI6007 Statistics for Business Decision Making
- HI6008 Business Research Project T2 2020
- HI6008 business research
- HI6025 Accounting Theory Tutorial Questions 1
- HI6025 Accounting Theory and Current Issues
- HI6026 audit assurance and compliance
- HI6026 audit assurance and compliance Assignment Help
- HI6027 business and corporate law tutorial Assignment T1 2021
- HI6027 Business and Corporate Law T2 2019
- HI6027 Business and Corporate Law T3 2019
- Hi6028 taxation theory, practice and law Final Assessment t1 2021
- HI6028 Taxation Theory, Practice and Law T2 2021
- HI6028 Taxation Theory, Practice and Law T1 2021
- HI6028 Taxation Theory, Practice and Law T2 2020
- HI6028 Taxation Law Theory and Practice
- HI6028 Taxation Theory T1 2019
- HS2021 Database Design