Glaucoma in Nursing
Introduction: Glaucoma is a disorder which can damage to the optic nerve of eyes. Due to the disorder intraocular pressure increases inside the eyes which is harmful to the optic nerve. The nerves are meant to send the signals to the brain to create images.
Glaucoma is a condition of raising pressure inside the eyes which has a harmful effect to the optic nerves. Anterior chamber, which is a small space front of the eye, through which a clear liquid comes out. The fluid nourishes the surrounding tissues. But when the condition of glaucoma is there the fluid comes out too slowly increasing it’s amount and pressure inside the eye. If the process further takes place without having any treatment or proper medications, the optic nerves may damage permanently which may leads to loss of vision.
- Open angle glaucoma: It is also known as wide angle glaucoma. In this condition the fluid doesn’t come out the way it should, where the structure of the eyes looks totally fine. This kind is very common type.
- Closed angle glaucoma: In this type there is a huge pain due to heavy pressure in the eyes due narrowing of space between iris and cornea.
Symptoms: The symptoms include:
- Surrounding vision lost gradually.
- Severe eye pain.
- Blurry vision.
- Nausea or vomiting.
- Redness in eye.
- Vision problem unexpectedly.
- Near sightedness.
- Intraocular pressure measuring (Tonometry)
- Optic nerve damage testing
- Vision loss area testing
- Corneal thickness measurements
- Eye drops: These are used to low the fluid creating or increase it’s amount. But having the side effects be like redness, blurry vision, allergies.
- Medications: These may help in proper drainage of fluid or may increase the amount.
- Laser surgery: In case of open angle glaucoma, the flow of fluid increase by the surgery. But in case of closed angle glaucoma, the surgery helps in block the flow of fluid.
- Draining Tube: A small tube is inserted into the eyes to drain away excess amount of liquid from eyes to low down the pressure.
- Home remedies: The remedies can help anyone to control the high pressure from eye and also can lead to better eye health.
- Maintaining a good healthy.
- Regular exercise.
- Have a proper and sound sleep.
- Frequent intake of liquid.
- To have prescribed medications in time.