Hypogonadism Nursing Assignment
Introduction: When the genital organs of the body produce less or no hormones then that period is called hypogonadism. Here hypo means less and gonad means genital organs therefore hypogonadism term says it all. The primary genital organ of the male is call testes and likewise, females have ovaries. The produced hormones which are testosterone in males and estrogen and progesterone in females control the secondary sex characteristics. These secondary sex characteristics include pubic hair, breast development, menstrual cycle in females and beard development, testicular development, production of sperms in males.
Cause: These are the reason for hypogonadism:
- Diseases like autoimmune disorders and hypoparathyroidism.
- Disorder such as Turner syndrome, Klinefelter syndrome, Kallmann syndrome.
- Infections in testicles
- Diseases in the liver or kidney.
- Exposure to radiation.
- Genital organ surgery.
- Pituitary diseases.
- Steroid use.
- Radiation exposure.
Symptoms in male:
- Breast growth abnormally.
- Body hair loss.
- Growth of the penis and testicles reduced.
- Erectile dysfunction.
- Absolutely no sex drive.
Symptoms in females:
- Menstruation lacking.
- Growth of breast slowly or no growth.
- Low or absent of sex drive.
- Loss of body hair.
- Discharge from the breast.
- Hormonetest: If the patient is female then a blood test is included to check the level of follicles stimulating hormone (FSH), luteinizing hormone (LH). And if it’s a male then testosterone level is checked.
- Imagingtest: In this test, an ultrasound is performed to create the image of the ovary to check the ovarian cyst or polycystic ovary.
- MRI and CT scan tests also included in the lists.
- Treatment for Female: Hysterectomy, a set of pills or medication is given to the patient as supplemental estrogen. The condition of endometrialcancer can be cured by progesterone. A combination of estrogen and progesterone is given to the patient who is taking estrogen pills. Difficulties in having periods and conceiving, pills containing FSH is given to fetchovulation.
- TreatmentforMale: Testosteronereplacementtherapy is widely used in this case to trigger the problems including hypogonadism, puberty, increase in sperm count.